History of the Delaware Flag
The Delaware State Flag features a blue field with a "Buff-colored" diamond in the center of it. The diamond features Delaware's Coat of Arms in the center of it. Below the diamond is the date, December 7th, 1787. The Coat of Arms features a shield with horizontal blue, white, and green stripes that has a sheaf of wheat, an ear of corn, and an ox. On the left-hand side of the shield is a farmer and on the right-hand side is a soldier. At the top of the shield there is a ship and below the shield is a band with the state motto "Liberty and Independence." The colors on the flag (buff and blue) represent the colors of the uniform that were worn by General Washington. The ship at the top of the shield represents the ship building industry in Delaware. The corn, wheat and farmer represent the agriculture in Delaware and the importance of farming, the ox represents the importance of the animals and breeding in the agriculture economy in Delaware, and the soldier represents the role of the military to maintain American liberties. The Coat of Arms was adopted on January 17th, 1777 and the current Delaware State Flag was adopted on July 24th, 1913.
Delaware is a state (second smallest state) located in the Northeastern region of the United States of America. It shares borders with New Jersey, Pennsylvania, Maryland, and the Atlantic Ocean. The capital city is called Dover. Delaware was named after the Delaware River which was named after Thomas West, 3rd Baron De La Warr, who was an English Nobleman. Delaware is also known as "The First State." This became Delaware's official nickname on May 23rd, 2002 as it was the first of the thirteen original states to ratify (confirm or accept) the United States of America constitution. It was also known as "The Diamond State" as it was referred to by Thomas Jefferson as a "jewel among the states" due to its ideal location. Delaware is divided into three counties which are New Castle County, Kent Country, and Sussex County.
The earliest inhabitants of the area that is now known as Delaware were native American tribes which include the Lenape and Nanticoke. In 1631, the area was first colonized by the Dutch Traders until 1638, when New Sweden established a colony at Fort Christina and it was a colony of Sweden for 17 years. In 1651, the Dutch established a fort and following their victory in 1655 against Sweden, Delaware became part of the "Dutch New Netherland." In 1664, the English drove the Dutch out of Delaware and it became an English Colony. Between 1664-1682, the control of Delaware was between the Dutch and the English until it became a colony of Pennsylvania. In 1777, following the Revolutionary War, Delaware became an independent state.